Wednesday, May 5, 2010

20 weeks-and another update

It's 11:30 and I'm home from Labor & Delivery. I went in early in the afternoon because of some pretty heavy bleeding I was having-heavier than I'd had up to that point. They tried to let me go at 7 but I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart. At 10:30 they were looking more like 6-8 and held steady there, urine came back clean for no UTI, so the working theory is that the blood is irritating the uterus causing the contractions.

The OB wouldn't do an actual digital exam, only speculum, because my placenta is so very close to my cervix and he didn't want to stir things up and make them worse. It's really frustrating because by the time the doctor came in to do the first exam-4.5 hours after I started bleeding-things had slowed. So they never saw the kiwi sized clots I passed at home and instead I just look like I'm paranoid.

I could have elected to stay there-the ob and nurse asked multiple times if I was comfortable being sent home. I figured the only real difference is my girls and I think I'll be getting more help with them. I think. The OB told me that my peri told him to make sure I know that if this keeps happening she'll admit me in Portland. She thinks that the bleeding probably picks up due to me having to do stuff for the girls-run baths, help get dressed, get out to the bus, etc. and the placenta having a partial tear and then being so close to the cervix, etc. So...my goal is to do better with things at home and avoid that. No more Costco trips or races for the girls...just home.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I lived closer to help out! I think the girls would have fun with my kids! Good luck and stay off your feet, I know with the twins the state had offered to pay someone to take care of the kids while Dan was at work if I was ever on bedrest, but I was one of the luck few mothers of multiplies that was never on bedrest. Hang in there! You will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are home! I like the just home idea...I'll do your Costco and store runs for you!
    Call me when you are up and let me know what your plan is today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are still hanging in there... it must be so scary to keep having these issues. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also wishing I could come over and help... augh. Take it easy, sis, let the house get messy and the girls get stinky! It'll be worth it... praying for you.

    ReplyDelete