Sunday, May 27, 2012

Getting to Know You...

This weekend has been…interesting. In a good way, no worries there. On Thursday the girls cut out from school a bit early and in the afternoon they left with my dad on a road trip. They drove up to Kennewick, WA to pick up Grandma and Grandpa Alcorn and from there headed on to Montana. More about that trip once I see the hundreds of pictures I have a feeling Scharae has taken with her little camera.
        The girls being gone has meant John and I have been alone all weekend! This is the first time since Keira was born that we have had so.much.time alone together. Kind of nuts. I am used to taking off all over the place, John and I have been gone for two nights here and there. But the girls have always been home or at my parents’. This time they’re the ones that left and it just as been odd. I struggled with it a bit. Not because I didn’t think my dad could handle it-he took me and some of the boys on trips here and there without mom, and I definitely went on plenty of road trips with my grandparents probably starting at about the same age as the girls. Ok, enough about that.
        I told a friend of mine this weekend that it’s almost like John and I have finally had a chance to “get to know each other” as adults and not just as parents. Sort of sounds pathetic, huh? I mean, we’re married. But I think meeting, getting engaged, getting pregnant and having our first baby all in a 13 months span has sort of given our relationship an interesting spin.
        So on to this weekend. Thursday evening John got home early and we went out to eat at one of our favorite family restaurants, The Original Road House. They were having an anniversary dinner sale which was a killer deal-3 courses for less than what just the main course typically costs! On Friday he went to work and I did my own thing (read: had a school auction “meeting” at Marshall’s which is code for bought a new purse…) and in the afternoon I drove up to Vancouver, WA with my mom to take a puppy to meet her new family. Friday evening John played bridge…and I did some more shopping (embarrassing! I don’t even particularly like shopping but I was lonely). I only bought stuff for the girls, which is pathetic. They aren’t even here and I’ve been shopping for them. Summer clothes. I swear. Then I went home and got to chat on the phone with one of my longest-lasting friends, Meredith while watching the massive lightning storm outside!
        Saturday morning John and I got up and drove to Portland. He has a parking garage in the basement of his office building where we can park for free on the weekend. We went there and parked, then walked around downtown a bit. I was trying to find doner kabobs at the ethnic food stands but had to settle for a super huge and super yummy gyro! So good. We took a leisurely drive home with the top of the Cabrio down. In the evening we both planned our lessons for church.
        Today we went to church and were joined by Brig, Debra, and Royle. John and I each taught our lessons and then came home and ate lunch. We took Mazey out to run at the off-leash area of a perpetually deserted state park just north of Salem and John got about ten skeeter bites…and I didn’t get any!
        No clue what we’re going to do for the tomorrow. I’m going to make us some baked oatmeal for breakfast-chocolate banana I think-and if the weather’s decent maybe we’ll go out for the day with Mazey again.
        It’s been so great to have the time to spend alone, but at our own home. Last weekend we had an all day date away from home which was great, but I have really liked being in our own home, spending our time together, and just really enjoying each other. Thanks so much to my dad for asking to take the girls! This has been a great time to charge up our emotional and relationship batteries before we head out on a family road trip to California on Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I think that would be so weird to hang out at home with Jason without kids. Maybe we'll try it next time we have a date night! It's so awesome your dad took them for such a long trip, they will come back with so many good memories. I bet it will be an emotional reunion for you after not seeing them for a week!

    ReplyDelete