I have been having a little bit of a hard time with how much "more" Taela seemed to have meant in our lives and in the lives of those who know us, when compared with Aiyana. She had a funeral, John's family all came out to support us, we have much more in the way of memorabilia, scrapbook put together by my grandmother, etc. It's hard because on the surface I know it's likely because she lived longer, which automatically lends itself to people thinking more of such a situation. But from within the thick of it, for me, the mother, Aiyana was no less "a life" than Taela. I think I had more time spent with Aiyana in my arms, or the arms of others who loved her, than I did with Taela. With Taela I was holding her, waiting for her to die. With Aiyana, I got to hold her while she lived. I don't know why my perspective is different, if it's just sort of a hindsight thing or what. But I truly have felt a little (and on some days more than a little) sad about "what's left" for memories of Aiyana. We don't even have much in the way of pictures of her. The Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep photographers that came and took lovely pictures have never got back to me about them, despite an email and a few phone calls.
Today I shed a few tears towards this subject. But they were happy tears. I was told late last week that there was something out at my parents' house for me, but Mom didn't want Dad to bring it in to work-she said it would make me cry. My oldest and one of my dearest friends Meredith had made me something for my birthday, and I was told that it commemorated my daughter.
Truth be told, I avoided going out there the rest of last week and all weekend. I don't know why-probably because I was having good days and didn't want to "ruin" them with tears. And I don't know what I thought I would find when I got there, but for some reason I was sort of...scared? Hear that Mairs? You had me scared!
Yesterday the girls and I had a grand day at the river...and today was supposed to be a grand day at the zoo, but my poor skin was not happy about the prospect of being out in the sun (darn that SPF 4!) so we had to make due with getting the car serviced, buying me some lidocaine/aloe stuff at the store, and finally I decided today was a McD's day. Silverton has a McD's with an outdoor play area which is still covered enough to not have the slides be super hot for the kids. So out to Silverton we went, stopping on the way at my parents' so I could see what was in store for me there.
I was stunned. Do you see what this wonderful friend of mine made for me? It's gorgeous. And amazing. Meredith, you're so talented, and you know me so well-the colors are just...me. I love it. And even more than knowing me about the colors...it's in memory of Aiyana. Not Aiyana and Taela, but just Aiyana. I think that's part of what I was dreading-something that was for both of them, which wouldn't be horrible by any means, but would make me that little bit sadder for Aiyana. I know, I know...the irrational ramblings of my brain. But it is what it is. This is just perfect. And just what I needed to help pull me out of my petty little funk.
So today I shed tears. Almost-happy tears. Probably about as happy as my tears can get in light of my grief.
I am so thankful for grand friends who know just what to say-and do-right when I need it the most.
Today I shed a few tears towards this subject. But they were happy tears. I was told late last week that there was something out at my parents' house for me, but Mom didn't want Dad to bring it in to work-she said it would make me cry. My oldest and one of my dearest friends Meredith had made me something for my birthday, and I was told that it commemorated my daughter.
Truth be told, I avoided going out there the rest of last week and all weekend. I don't know why-probably because I was having good days and didn't want to "ruin" them with tears. And I don't know what I thought I would find when I got there, but for some reason I was sort of...scared? Hear that Mairs? You had me scared!
Yesterday the girls and I had a grand day at the river...and today was supposed to be a grand day at the zoo, but my poor skin was not happy about the prospect of being out in the sun (darn that SPF 4!) so we had to make due with getting the car serviced, buying me some lidocaine/aloe stuff at the store, and finally I decided today was a McD's day. Silverton has a McD's with an outdoor play area which is still covered enough to not have the slides be super hot for the kids. So out to Silverton we went, stopping on the way at my parents' so I could see what was in store for me there.
I was stunned. Do you see what this wonderful friend of mine made for me? It's gorgeous. And amazing. Meredith, you're so talented, and you know me so well-the colors are just...me. I love it. And even more than knowing me about the colors...it's in memory of Aiyana. Not Aiyana and Taela, but just Aiyana. I think that's part of what I was dreading-something that was for both of them, which wouldn't be horrible by any means, but would make me that little bit sadder for Aiyana. I know, I know...the irrational ramblings of my brain. But it is what it is. This is just perfect. And just what I needed to help pull me out of my petty little funk.
So today I shed tears. Almost-happy tears. Probably about as happy as my tears can get in light of my grief.
I am so thankful for grand friends who know just what to say-and do-right when I need it the most.
What a beautiful quilt!!
ReplyDeleteI love it as I know you do as well. Glad you have talented friends who can actually make things like that so you can wrap up with it on your hard days!
Miss you and wish I was closer, but I'll see you soon.
PS...Happy Birthday! I thought it was the 23rd and was maybe a day off....but it's the 13th huh?! So I am like 11 days off :( Lame friend...but I still hope you had a great day.
that is a REALLY sweet and thoughtful gift. i'm sorry you've been feeling down and i'm glad you got a pick me up. loves.
ReplyDeleteTif, my heart aches for you. I wish I could visit and give you a big long hug. I can't imagine what you have endured during the past three or so years. My little Ivy was due around the same time as Taela and watching you (via blog and facebook) give birth to two beautiful girls that you don't get to raise right now brings tears to my eyes. I think it is wonderful to feel a little sad for yourself and Aiyana because she didn't get all of pictures, scrapbooks, etc. that Taela did. That's probably the norm in most families that each child has a different amount of pictures, journal entries and stuff like that. It is for my kids, too.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you can picture your two girls dancing together in heaven. I know that they are doing all they can to help strengthen and protect your family.
Happy late birthday, and I love you, Tif!
Thanks for sharing that story. I'm glad that you have something for Aiyana now.
ReplyDeleteFunny that Elise would mention dancing in heaven because for quite a while after Toyke's Dad died whenever I thought of him the picture in my mind was him in a pink tutu doing ballet leaps (don't know the name for ballet leaps) and laughing loudly and happily as he danced across my mind. I believe that there is dancing in heaven...Love
ReplyDeletethat's beautiful- Ohhhhhhhh Tif, I sigh for you.
ReplyDelete