For what might be the first time, John has emphatically nixed a name that I fell in love with.
It is a lovely name. An inspiring name, I think.
All he can think of is "old men" and "socks". So...I have relegated that beloved name to my decorating/crafting schemes of the future.
First, let me set the stage.
Someday {soon} I will have an area similar to this:
It is simply the very average, very normal closet of what appears to be an average, normal bedroom. Like my "office" or "break room" as the girls call it (because I tend to go in there and tell them to leave me alone for 3 minutes so I don't blow my top on rough days). Unfortunately, with He-Man coming (Keira wanted to name him Adam, like He-Man's real name...nope. sorry. But I can handle the nickname) I am in danger of losing my sewing space!? NO!!!!!
See how she has her fabric in piles up on top? I'm going to do something more like this: (thanks for pointing me this direction, Amy!)
I don't have a huge ol' ton of fabric, so I know it'll fit on boards up on the top shelf of my future sewing closet just fine.
If you look closely at the picture of the closet you'll see the table. It's cut down the middle of it lengthwise and mounted to the wall so that it's half (or there abouts) as deep as it originally was. I currently have a raw-wood basic table from IKEA that I can totally see doing this to. We don't need it anywhere else so I think I'll get it painted and have it cut and mounted for my table. I don't use the back half of the depth anyhow...except to gather junk on. Of course.
Don't really like buntings, or whatever that banner thing is called, unless it's for a holiday or party, so that'll be left out of my final plan. I'm not really a fan of the colors used, but I'll figure something out-probably blues and greens and browns to go with the rest of the nursery decor.
Nursery. We've never had a nursery before! We were in apartments when the girls were little and they were in our room when each of them was born. And to be honest, I haven't done anything with their room here so far. It's a mix of Thomas and girly colors. Including one large Thomas toy box that looks like a train (thanks, Debra and Brig!) and another toybox that is apparently a Cabbage Patch one, all pink and purple and flowers. Very eclectic. The Thomas wall stickers can't go because what would the Thomas sheets match to? And also because at least once a week one of the girls forgets our rule about not thanking God for each and every Thomas sticker individually (usually Scharae). But I'm hoping getting a nursery done will help inspire me-and the girls-for their room! Maybe if I get their quilts done, too...yikes.
Ok, so back to the name that isn't.
Argyle. I love it. John thinks I'm nuts and says no way. So instead it will just be a defining characteristic of He-Man. At least until he can make his own style choices, He-Man and argyle will be united. When you think about him you'll think about argyle. And vice-versa.
And the best part? Argyle is versatile. I can pick up some plain old sweaters at the thrift store and make He-Man something like this: (while you're checking out the link, be sure and notice the AWESOME wedding cake. If John and I ever renew our vows I want a cake with argyle on it. Or maybe just a birthday cake with argyle?)
Of course, I'll be able to make it any color I like. One for every day of the week, perhaps. Or not. At least he'll wear them for Sundays. And Easter pictures. Family pictures in general.
Not to worry, argyle now crosses the gender lines! I think once upon a time it was reserved for stodgy old men playing golf, but that is not the case anymore!
Can't you just see the fun I can have with this? The girls can coordinate with He-Man very nicely!
Beyond being multi-gendered, argyle is also multi-styled. It can be done up as clothing, definitely. But what about this? It is definitely on my list of things to be making. Soon. From Little Birdie Secrets, an absolutely adorable argyle quilt. Again, so versatile. I could easily make it larger, make a wall hanging, or crib bumper stuff...not that we have or ever have had a crib...
And if that's not enough...John hasn't said no to this:
Although, to be honest, I really don't want that much argyle, quite. Not all the walls anyhow. I'm thinking something more like this:
So there you have it. The name that isn't, and probably only was even wanted to be because I'm stuck here in bed lying (laying?) around all day doing my best to have a good and positive attitude and not get too bored or whiny. I've read some blogs by women that have had cerclages and are then on strict bedrest for the rest of the pregnancy and good golly are they full of whining and griping. My take? It's {ideally} going to have a better-than-good outcome. So I'll take it. Not that it's not hard or depressing some days. Not that I haven't snapped at my mom or the girls or my dear sweet husband. I just hope they think it's worth it to have me snap temporarily in the end, too!



I love the wall and the dresser. I wouldn't want the entire room in argyle but the one wall looks so good. Great ideas!
ReplyDeleteMaureen
I just thought that I would share... My hubby has approached me with that name several times. So you are not alone in your love for it.
ReplyDeletei love that room. so cute! i do have to agree with john though. :)
ReplyDeletep.s. adam was our pick if lauren had been a boy.
you know my love for argyle. but i'm leaning towards agreeing with john on this one. what about doing chair rail and argyle on the top or bottom half of the walls? think the boys' room but with argyle instead of stripes? i'll end up having a craft closet, too. i like your inspiration.
ReplyDeleteI love your decorating ideas with the argyle, but I would have to agree with your husband on this name, Argyle makes me think of gargoyle, the cartoon that used to be on and those creatures are anything but cute, but may I add, good luck finding a name. Michael and I have a very difficult time agreeing on names for girls so usually they're nameless for a day! (OK so that's what happened last time).
ReplyDeleteI like the name Argyle! Especially teamed with Lyle. Wasn't there a book about Lyle Argyle, the crocodile? Or did I want to write that one?
ReplyDeleteI love the total wall in argyle... if you're gonna do it, do it! But it looks like a lot of work to my old self.
And you haven't snapped at me that I noticed. Maybe I missed it...shoot! I'll try to be more attentive to those little details.
love ya,
mom
I love the look, but for a name, I am not so sure. Because I had read your blog the other day, I noticed today that Dillon's vest for church had this design on it, and I thought of you!
ReplyDeleteHang in there!
Ok, sorry, but I think I am definitely have to agree with John on the name. :) I totally love all your room ideas though. Super cute and some of them were along the lines of what I have been wanting to do in my boys room as well, so thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHope you are doing well and I am sure John and your Mom will forgive a few snaps...it's hard work to not go crazy on bedrest 24/7! Hang in there!!!!
Hi. So I'm craving a blizzard right now....It'll be a while before I'll be able to get one of those though.... and midnight truffle. that sounds delicious.
ReplyDeleteArgyle.... Argyle.... Argyle.... I have never considered that as a name before, so I'm not going to take sides. I do like it in the crafty form... definitley not for only old men and socks.
Whatever happened to Boaz? I remember YEARS ago you said you wanted to name a son Boaz.
I'm glad things are going *well* for you. Sorry you're stuck in bed, but hopefully you'll be able to bookmark lots of crafts you'll be able to do when your little man gets here!