Thursday, September 10, 2009

Slave Labor.


We're big fans of slave labor around here. This has become a common scene around the house-their bathroom, our bathroom.



As you can see, they sort of take their cleaning tasks seriously. But they do know how to have some fun. K puts on a good game face as she attacks her soap scum. S...she just is confused as to why one would want a picture of a bathroom being cleaned!

I can get about 90 minutes of dinner-prep and laundry folding down while they're busy little bees doing this. It's great. Most times it ends with them getting bored of the spray bottles (just water in there) and grabbing bars of soap and slip 'n' sliding their tub. Which means it's bathtime, of course.

Today we tried cleaning the baseboards. I don't think they're quite ready for that. Well, at least not with water bottles...puddles...lots of them...so back to the tubs. But I have a plan on how to move on to dusting thanks to my ever-so-awesome mother. Stay tuned!

7 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! Way to train them early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you learned slave labor from the best!

    When I had three children, life was a little crazy, but I could still cope. When I had 4, I was over my head! I think Beau doubled the family laundry! And he was a fussy baby. And Cori was a clingy baby. So I knew I needed help… and Tiffany and Brigham were standing there, so what could I do but enlist them? I moved all of the dishes to a lower cupboard and I started having one unload the dishwasher and one would vacuum. We all would put socks on our hands and dust. So Brig must have been 5 and Tif 4. When Cori turned 3 or 4 we added the bathroom to our job list. I think Beau and Erik might have been 5 or 6 before we added two more jobs. And we just rotated those jobs around. Remember my sophisticated Job Chart- a piece of paper in a page protector that I wrote on with a dry erase marker? I found it like a year ago and I think I finally parted with it.

    I must admit none of my friends were as dedicated to slave labor as I was. I figured they were better woman than me. BUT! we all did our jobs and by 8:45 all you munchkins were dressed, bed’s made (rooms still amess) clothes put away, house was cleaned up and you had practiced the piano. And MAYBE you got to watch G.I Joe or Care Bears even before catching bus 24 to Custer. They couldn’t say that!

    But Tif, my children were a little faster than yours…. your girls must be VERY thorough. No job took more than 10 minutes… unless maybe you were Cori or Erik and you couldn’t decide if you were in the real world or the make believe world… or Beau, trying some experiment and then having to clean it up before Mom found out.

    I think you are very creative with your squirt bottle idea! Wish I had thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like they're having fun!

    Miss O. LOVES to dust. She'll actually beg me to let her do it!

    Your girls are SO cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea. Those 90 minutes must be heaven.

    Your girls have gotten so big! They are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! I'm going to have to remember that when Lydia gets a little bigger! Looks like you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah for slave labor. I doubt I would get 90 minutes our of my boys, but we could hope.

    ReplyDelete