Monday, May 16, 2011

Ouch!






So you might have noticed a clunky green thing on the pictures of Keira twirling away in my projects post. 

Today we went to the doctor for a "well-child" exam for each of the girls. Keira stands about 3/8" taller than Scharae. Somehow the .9 pound weight difference (Scharae weighs more...and has since they were 1 and 2 I think!) creates an optical illusion wherein Scharae appears to be taller. I think K was happy to officially be told she's taller than her sister. It's a point of annoyance to her when someone says Scharae is "bigger" because in Keira's mind older=bigger!

While we were at the exam I decided to mention the fact that Keira has been favoring her left arm lately. Last week, on her birthday, she fell off some play equipment during recess. I guess the PE/sports medicine guy checked her out and sent her on her way with an ice pack so I didn't really worry much. I noticed her avoiding using it to catch herself from falling off her *new* bike on Friday but since she wasn't complaining constantly about it, and was still definitely using her left hand/arm I figured I'd just watch it through the weekend. I probably would have forgotten all about it today if she hadn't winced in pain when I was helping her out of the car at the doctor office. 

So, off to x-ray we went. And sure enough, it's a buckle fracture. We had to drive across town to the other Kaiser clinic to have it casted. She picked out green-big surprise there!-and the casting tech picked out one that has green glitter worked into the fiberglass, too!  Keira is not accepting signatures on her cast, so don't even ask. She isn't really sure why anyone would want to write on something like a cast, to be honest. She looked at me like I had tentacles growing out of my ears when I mentioned that kids in her class might want to write their names on it (do kids still do that???)

I have no clue how long this thing will be on there. The x-ray has to be seen by an orthopedic doctor who will then schedule to see us...probably while we're on vacation to Cali, so we'll see!

2 comments:

  1. That reminds me of when you had a cast it what, 2nd grade? Didn't you end up with 2 pretty close together? Maybe I'm just imagining things... but I know you had at least 1! You're girls are so cute! I love all your sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fun having a broken arm...but I must say K looks pretty happy about her cool cast so that's a good things right?!

    ReplyDelete