I've had a lot of people wondering how things are going for us here on the baby front, so here's an update.
I'm 14 weeks along, so I'm finally into the 2nd trimester! I've had bleeding and spotting for just about the last 4 weeks. Initially my placenta was completely covering the cervix and it appeared that the bleeding was coming from there. I took it real easy for two weeks and went back in for another ultrasound. As of last Monday my placenta has moved a bit so while the cervix is still totally covered, it does appear that the placenta should move completely away.
My cervix measured 3.5cm which is good. Anything under 3 is when my doctor gets worried. However, with pressure on my uterus-to simulate a contraction or prolonged standing/walking around-my cervix measurement dropped to 2.5cm which isn't such a great sign.
In light of all that I will be having a cerclage put in on Monday. There are two different methods that my doctor is considering and she'll make that call based on how my cervix looks/feels when she gets in there I guess. I'm not too educated on the different methods.
The cerclage is sort of a "we don't know if it will work but we've not tried it before so we'll see if it works or not" thing. It is not without risks but in this case the doctor and I both feel that the benefits outweigh the risks. At least I won't be left wondering "what if?" the way I sort of have been with Taela and Aiyana.
About 2/3 women get a cerclage put in and go about the rest of the pregnancy with no problem. No bedrest, no complications, etc. And then they have it removed around 36/37 weeks and have a lovely full term pregnancy. My doctor believes I'll be in the other 1/3 who have a rougher go of it. My uterus is already irritable. I went to Target for an hour on Saturday and then was all crampy and bleeding again for the next 2 days. We're pretty much assuming that with the cerclage that won't change much and I'll still have to stay down most of the time. Time will tell, but that's sort of what I've been told to expect. I'll likely be on some sort of medicine to prevent contractions on top of the progesterone injections I'll be starting in 2 weeks.
So, our plan so far: Cerclage on Monday the 31st. John'll drive me home to my parents from there and we'll plan to stay the night there...and go from there. My parents are awesome and are going to let us stay out there. My girls both go to school everyday out in Silverton. Keira's school is like 1/8 mile from the house and Scharae catches the bus at my parents' driveway. So being out there will take a load off. I think until we see what direction my body decides to take we'll just sort of have a contingency plan to hang out there. Not sure where John will be-probably spend some nights at home and some in Silverton, depending on how late/early he's working.
So, there's my latest. I'll be sure and update after the surgery on Monday :)
So glad that you decided to stay out at your parents! That will really take a load off you and you can just see how your body does with the cerclage. Totally wish I was there to help take some of the load off as well, but your mom is amazing and will be just want you need. I am sending hugs and prayers your way. Let me know how Monday goes!
ReplyDeletethere's a lot of stress that goes with any unknown, so i'm happy you have such a solid plan. and great help. thanks for keeping us updated. hopefully you'll be able to find out the sex on monday, too. the baby whisperer over here says "boy" and he has yet to be wrong on the subject! (you better believe i just knocked on wood!)
ReplyDeleteOk so are you going to stay at your parents house? Or just for that night?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. We're praying that all goes well. I'm super glad that your family is there to help out.
ReplyDeleteExcellent plan, Tif! I'm so glad they're going to do the cerclage. I know my level of "what if?" is nowhere near your level, but I can't help but wonder if the outcomes for Taela or Aiyana would have been improved with cerclage. You're in my thoughts!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a super plan and I know your parents will love the time they get you guys. God Bless. Love you all...
ReplyDeleteI am following you too! Sounds like a plan, and a good one! I hear you even have a new "comfortable" bed to sleep in as well there?! Do you get to have puppies in the bed as well? One day at a time, you are getting there! I am very excited and optimistic for you all. No more Target for you (I will patron them in your honor in the meantime). For you, only bed and puppies...and babies! - Christina
ReplyDeleteTiff, I hope this works for you. I've done it 6 times and was very blessed. When I had mine with the twins the Doctor was concerned that the cerclage might trigger contractions ( I had never had that problem, but with the twins I was much bigger and starting to dialate at 11 weeks) anyway, he gave me some meds to prevent contractions and I had the worst headache for the entire time I was in the hospital(they kept me overnight because of the twin thing) later I was on other meds for contractions and it wasn't near as bad. Wish I knew what it was that they gave me. I hope you don't have the same reaction.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are going on bedrest. It isn't easy to do. I was on bed rest for 6 weeks with the twins. The first day my hips ached so bad and I remember thinking that I couldn't do it! Grandma Alcorn came to the rescue with foam padding and a lamb skin. It really helped. I watched all of the Olympics that year! The kids would come into the room and pile on the bed or the floor and entertain me or watch a movie with me. It isn't easy but it is worth the sacrafice , you just have to keep the end goal in sight. Our prayers are with you