
Yup. Don't eat them. They're poisonous. Ask Keira all about it. She stayed the night at Mom's on Monday night and on Tuesday afternoon she and Scharae had to pick daffodils to bring home. No problem, right? Wrong. Scharae is our known oral-explorer. She still mouths things like a 9m old baby. But she rarely actually eats anything (other than wax-candles and crayons!). And last Sunday she ate one of the daffodil buds that we took up to Taela's grave, so I didn't really think these flowers were any big dealio. So, both of them pick off the heads of their flowers and gave them to me while we were in the car. And so they're left with the stem. Which apparently doubles for celery in Keira's lovely little world. She convince Scharae they should eat their celery. Of course Scharae, being the smart one, chews on a couple bites and then spits them out-it's obvious to her (the food fanatic) that they're definitely not celery! But Keira, not being quite so in tune with food as her sister, goes along merrily eating her celery. And me, assuming they're no more harmful than me chewing on hay or eating a dandelion (which tastes gross, but is by no means dangerous!), gives a few half-hearted "No, Keira, that's not celery", but in all I wasn't worried.
And then we got home. Scharae fell asleep in the carseat, so I left her in the garage (flame away...I'm a good mom, I just like to get through the day as easy as possible, and that includes leaving my child in the car, in the garage, on a 60F day!). Keira I brought in the house and laid down for a nap-she was so so tired (how tired? so so). I got on the phone with Crystal, and Keira went right to sleep.
Ten minutes later I heard her shrieking the way she does when A) she's having a seizure or B) she's puking. I run in there and she'd blown chunks all over her bed. As soon as I get in there I knelt down next to her and she proceeded to drench me, head to knees, and the wall. Nice, huh? Just what I wanted. So at first I'm thinking "tummy bug." But then I notice (here it's a little graphic) that amidst the rice and beans mexican she had for lunch with Nana and Brig there's the entire daffodil stalk, in barely chewed pieces. Great. So I got her and I cleaned up. And while I cleaned up her bed she climbed in Scharae's unscathed bed and fell asleep. I called Mom while I was starting the wash and she looked up daffodils on the internet (the internet, while useful, is also very bad!). It talked about the bulbs being the most poisonous, but that there had been very negative results when children had eaten any other part of the plant, as well. Of course it doesn't say how much of it they'd have to eat, or what would happen. So I called Kaiser's advice line. The nurse didn't know anything about daffodils (oh, they're poisonous?) and gave me Poison Control's number. That nurse was a little concerned about the fact that Scharae was sleeping, but that I wasn't sure if she'd actually swallowed any-they shouldn't cause depressed CNS (sleepiness) but they could. So I had to roll down the window of the car to be able to watch for normal breathing patterns. And for Keira she said puking was exactly what she was supposed to do. She might also start diarrhea. And to wait until she'd not puked for at least an hour before we gave her anything to eat or drink, and to expect that to come right back up. She said 3-5 hours of puking would be normal. Oh, and then she advised me to move the daffodils!
So, we escaped unscathed. Both girls are fine...but man that was some nastiness! John and I are seriously considering 100% edible landscape options...
WOW!! Seriously... a little freaky. i'm glad they're ok though!
ReplyDelete