Got up and got in the shower to get ready for an appointment an hour away. Luckily I stayed at home last night (to watch the finale of Bachelor w/o my dad snarking in the background
) so I didn't have to worry about making sure the girls were out of mischief/ready for school.
I was up most the night with a sinus headache that came on hard and fast at around 1am and also with a BAD back ache that I couldn't shake and contractions that were starting to hurt. The Procardia got them down to 5 an hour and kept them that way for 3 hours at a time so I decided to wait it out since I had an appointment in the morning.
In the shower I realized I was bleeding. I've had what would probably be called "bloody show" since Friday but not full on bleeding and not enough blood to make me freak out. So seeing blood in the shower was a bit of a shock. I decided maybe it just looked like a lot because of the water swirling it around so I finished quickly and got out. At that point if I'd had a measuring cup handy I probably would have caught at least 1/2c -3/4c of blood just flowing out. It was exactly like my big bleeds last pregnancy. So I sat there kind of going "now what???" I was home alone, with only 4 or 5 pads in my cupboard, but beyond that, how was I going to get myself from there into any kind of clothes without bleeding all over my house? Yeah. The things I choose to worry about
Then it seemed to slow down so that it was more of a heavy dripping so I quickly got dressed and laid down, trying to decide if I should go to the hospital here in town-which I am loathe to do because they aren't MY doctors and refuse to transport me unless I have to deliver or am 24 weeks; or should I drive up to my appointment an hour away?
45 minutes later and 4 soaked pads later it just suddenly stopped. Yeah, 45 minutes and I was still debating where I should go to
So I got myself into the car and drove up to my appointment. Ultrasound shows my cervix as being all kinds of cramped up so they couldn't get a good measurement-the only one they could get was almost 5cm and we KNOW my cervix isn't that long. It's about 2cm dilated from the outside to the stitch and about 1cm from the inside to the stitch, but the stitch is holding tight so at this point they consider it "closed" because it's less than 1cm of an opening right at the stitch and the stitch isn't budging/stretching with any pressure.
The placenta looks "normal" as in they couldn't see where the bleed was from, but it was definitely from inside and not the outside of my cervix like my doctor had hoped. When she did a speculum exam she was hoping to see a polyp or a burst vein or maybe even see where the stitch was ripping through (yeah...somehow the fact that THAT would have been more positive than my placenta bleeding just makes me
!) But instead she kind of freaked out because the bleeding, while not actively flowing at the time, was definitely from my uterus, and more than that, I'm most definitely losing my mucus plug in copious amounts. She said that to her that indicates some pretty good (bad?) uterine activity because for the amount that came out on the swab she was using to wipe around the cervix to even make it through the hourglass section of my cerclage meant there was some force behind it, whether that force was the blood or what caused the blood she's not sure.
If I were 4 more weeks along she'd admit me. Can I tell you how much I hate hearing that? I get it, but I hate it. If my placenta was 1cm closer to my cervix she'd admit me but it's just barely out of range of what she'd consider marginal previa so she can't admit me based on that. And if the procardia wasn't helping the contractions I'd be at the hospital.
So...all in all...I'm home. Well at my parents' home. If I have any more bleeds like that I'm supposed to let her know and she'll decide if I need to come up to that hospital or go to the one here that I want to skip. If my water breaks and I'm NOT in labor then I can make the drive up to her hospital but if I'm hemorrhaging or in active labor she'd rather I go to the hospital here and be transported via ambulance. If I start having random bleeds like I had last time she'll admit me, but we are hoping this was a one-time thing.
Good news: we got all the pictures of baby's heart and everything looks fine. AND I got a rx for Fioricet because she agrees that I need something for the migraines that the progesterone shots seem to cause. I'm bummed that she's keeping my due date the same but oh well. She'll do another growth u/s in 4 weeks to make sure my placenta isn't failing and that he's still on his apparently huge growth curve. And actually she decided to bump it back to my original one of July 30, which puts me at only 20w3d. Which sucks. But she feels like bumping it ahead, in the case of "should we deliver or not?" might be detrimental to the baby I guess.
) so I didn't have to worry about making sure the girls were out of mischief/ready for school.I was up most the night with a sinus headache that came on hard and fast at around 1am and also with a BAD back ache that I couldn't shake and contractions that were starting to hurt. The Procardia got them down to 5 an hour and kept them that way for 3 hours at a time so I decided to wait it out since I had an appointment in the morning.
In the shower I realized I was bleeding. I've had what would probably be called "bloody show" since Friday but not full on bleeding and not enough blood to make me freak out. So seeing blood in the shower was a bit of a shock. I decided maybe it just looked like a lot because of the water swirling it around so I finished quickly and got out. At that point if I'd had a measuring cup handy I probably would have caught at least 1/2c -3/4c of blood just flowing out. It was exactly like my big bleeds last pregnancy. So I sat there kind of going "now what???" I was home alone, with only 4 or 5 pads in my cupboard, but beyond that, how was I going to get myself from there into any kind of clothes without bleeding all over my house? Yeah. The things I choose to worry about

Then it seemed to slow down so that it was more of a heavy dripping so I quickly got dressed and laid down, trying to decide if I should go to the hospital here in town-which I am loathe to do because they aren't MY doctors and refuse to transport me unless I have to deliver or am 24 weeks; or should I drive up to my appointment an hour away?
45 minutes later and 4 soaked pads later it just suddenly stopped. Yeah, 45 minutes and I was still debating where I should go to

So I got myself into the car and drove up to my appointment. Ultrasound shows my cervix as being all kinds of cramped up so they couldn't get a good measurement-the only one they could get was almost 5cm and we KNOW my cervix isn't that long. It's about 2cm dilated from the outside to the stitch and about 1cm from the inside to the stitch, but the stitch is holding tight so at this point they consider it "closed" because it's less than 1cm of an opening right at the stitch and the stitch isn't budging/stretching with any pressure.
The placenta looks "normal" as in they couldn't see where the bleed was from, but it was definitely from inside and not the outside of my cervix like my doctor had hoped. When she did a speculum exam she was hoping to see a polyp or a burst vein or maybe even see where the stitch was ripping through (yeah...somehow the fact that THAT would have been more positive than my placenta bleeding just makes me
!) But instead she kind of freaked out because the bleeding, while not actively flowing at the time, was definitely from my uterus, and more than that, I'm most definitely losing my mucus plug in copious amounts. She said that to her that indicates some pretty good (bad?) uterine activity because for the amount that came out on the swab she was using to wipe around the cervix to even make it through the hourglass section of my cerclage meant there was some force behind it, whether that force was the blood or what caused the blood she's not sure.If I were 4 more weeks along she'd admit me. Can I tell you how much I hate hearing that? I get it, but I hate it. If my placenta was 1cm closer to my cervix she'd admit me but it's just barely out of range of what she'd consider marginal previa so she can't admit me based on that. And if the procardia wasn't helping the contractions I'd be at the hospital.
So...all in all...I'm home. Well at my parents' home. If I have any more bleeds like that I'm supposed to let her know and she'll decide if I need to come up to that hospital or go to the one here that I want to skip. If my water breaks and I'm NOT in labor then I can make the drive up to her hospital but if I'm hemorrhaging or in active labor she'd rather I go to the hospital here and be transported via ambulance. If I start having random bleeds like I had last time she'll admit me, but we are hoping this was a one-time thing.
Good news: we got all the pictures of baby's heart and everything looks fine. AND I got a rx for Fioricet because she agrees that I need something for the migraines that the progesterone shots seem to cause. I'm bummed that she's keeping my due date the same but oh well. She'll do another growth u/s in 4 weeks to make sure my placenta isn't failing and that he's still on his apparently huge growth curve. And actually she decided to bump it back to my original one of July 30, which puts me at only 20w3d. Which sucks. But she feels like bumping it ahead, in the case of "should we deliver or not?" might be detrimental to the baby I guess.
Man, Tif. That is totally drama filled! I will be praying everything goes well, and that you can wait 4 weeks to do all the measurements! Keep the faith-you're doing great!
ReplyDeleteHave you considered sponge baths instead of showers? I know you enjoy your showers, but you could employ somebody to do your sponge baths. It sounds like you could get your doctor to prescribe it for you, and then your insurance would cover it. What's the copay on that? And do you have to tip afterward? Not that you need more to worry about, but maybe you should look into it.
ReplyDeleteJason
Jason, Jason, Jason. Somehow I knew that comment was from you-and not your wife-before I got done with the first sentence!
ReplyDeleteTif... bleh (said with all the sisterly love in my heart). We've been praying, but we'll pray more. Love you.
ReplyDeleteTIF!!! I have been meaning to call you the last few days, but it always seems that by the time I sit down and look at the clock it's too late to risk a call...hoping you might be getting some sleep.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, totally have been hoping things we're going well and keep thinking we're almost to April...good right?! But then it sounds like they might have moved you back a little :(
Hang in there. Totally praying that you can make it at least 4 more weeks.
Thanks for the update and I promise I'll get a call in some day soon that is at a reasonable hour!
Love you!
YIKES! Just a bit longer...well shorter for the cervix, longer for baby boy. Almost there - back to the paretns house you stay! Can you hang like a bat for the next month or two - will that help? I don't know how you do it - you just do it I guess. At least no one bugged you watching the Bachelor - My husband came in a ruined the moment for me...
ReplyDeleteYou are so close - keep knitting, and again, eye on the prize - you will get there!
ugh. Tiff I'm sorry you have do deal with this! Can you just have an easy pregnancy with a full term baby? You deserve it! I have been praying for you and your little guy. I also wish I could be there to help you get things done so you can get some rest! Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear all about your drama Tiff! I jumped on here after I saw your most recent fb post. That's just not fair. I hope you get the care you need and I'll put you and little He-man in our prayers.
ReplyDelete