Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Not a day to repeat any time soon!

We have a membership at the KROC center.

It's pretty great. 2 hours of child care per day for the girls while I go workout, shower...read by their fireplace! Better than Fred Meyer's play area-especially since they're kicking Keira out after Christmas Break (because she's now "school age" instead of preschool I guess).

My deal with the girls has been that if they will happily go to the play area on MWF I will take them swimming T/TH. The idea being for them to be holding me accountable for exercising. Of course if I have something "more important" to do then exercise/swimming is the first thing to go. But it's a good goal to have, right?

This place has a great pool. It's got a lazy river thing with a playground manned with squirt gun things that the kids can aim. There's a part that starts at toe-deep and gradually gets deeper. Spray features, etc. And M-TH from 2-3 they have Parent/Tot swim for kids 6 and under. Perfect for this mama that isn't too hip on keeping track of her two hooligans in a pool full of random people. All the times we've been there haven't been more than 3 other parent/tot groups!

Yesterday when I picked the girls up after exercising they were asking {again} about the huge rock wall. I {again} fudged a bit and told them that they weren't old enough. Keira asked if they had to "be 14 or something big like that?" and before I could lie to her and say yes {ok, really I would have side stepped it and not actually lied...just deflected!} a KROC employee stepped in and asked how old she and Scharae were. Upon hearing they're older than 3 this very *helpful* employee told them that M-F at 3 the wall was open for them to climb.

Thanks.

It's not that I think it's dangerous. I really don't. But I like that they don't really know how to climb the rock walls at some of the playgrounds around here. Those go up pretty high and aren't belay-equipped!

So today the girls planned the afternoon. First, school for Keira and work for me and Scharae. Then lunch. Then they wanted to go to the play area while I exercised. But I couldn't exercise as long as yesterday-only until almost the 2. And then I needed to come get them and take them swimming for the whole 2 and then after the 3 they would climb the rock.

And we did all that. And I'm exhausted. Bone weary. It's 8:10 and I can hardly keep my eyes open! I think from now on we'll either exercise or swim/climb the wall. I had considered having them climb after exercising, but the reality is I'd rather be done exercising and gone before 3. So swimming/climbing it'll be. But really, I don't want to do all 3 of those again any time soon!

On the climbing note, they did great! Well, Keira did. She wouldn't stay to the side where the worker was trying to direct her-where the hand/footholds were closer together. She wanted to only use the ones that were green or had green tape by them. So she made it harder on herself but she still made it up at least 20-30 feet. Scharae...she mostly just went up high enough to kick off and swing down! I'll have to remember my camera on Thursday when we go swimming/climbing again!

1 comment:

  1. My kids would love that, I really should take them sometime! I have a friend who just moved to Salem from Sacramento and she is so excited about the Croc center. I really need to go!

    ReplyDelete