Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oregon City, aka Special Swings, aka Purple House, aka...Sensory Integration Therapy!

I've had a few people curious on what sensory therapy is. I took my camera today with me so my mom could send some pictures to a contact of hers in Holland who trains dogs for kids with sensory issues. Here's some pictures of the facility Keira goes to "special swings" at (that's what she calls it).







I'm totally considering doing away with beds and going with some hammocks like these for the girls!



I've decided that one thing I'd love to build in our next house is a ball pit like this! It's just 2 plywood boards that are then covered with that foam you might use on a bed (well...maybe YOU wouldn't, but I'm pretty sure my grandparents did! Sort of like Egg Crate foam) and then covered with some cloth that's just stapled down! Totally easy!


As y'all can see, it's pure play-therapy. Pure. Nothing but fun for the kids. The swings have been really awesome for my girls. It sounds sort of quack-ish, but swinging activates the same vestibular system that kids activate when they're infants and shaking their heads back and forth. For a kid that's over-active (Keira) back and forth swinging is excellent for bringing them down a bit. For a kid that's under-active (Scharae) then circular/spinning swinging is activating and helps to bring them up to a level where you can "break into" their concentration and work with them a bit. John's been real anal about us paying them to play with the girls, but the reality is that play is the most effective form of therapy at this age. It's play, but we've stretched them a tiny bit with each activity-swinging, then swinging without holding onto both the ropes, then swinging without holding on at all and having to activate their core muscles to keep themselves upright-which is a huge issue with kids that are sensory defensive!

Anyhow...there's just a peek into Keira's morning from today

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow, that does look like fun! Hopefully Athena will be able to enjoy something similar.

    ReplyDelete