On Monday we had a family home evening lesson about courage and how we can do hard things even if we're the only ones making good choices. We've run into a few situations at school last year where it became obvious we needed to focus a bit more on not always being a follower. It went well-I was informed it was another Level 1 Family Home Evening and they're ready for Level 2. Guess I need to step it up a bit!
At the end of the lesson we talked about school starting. After that John took the opportunity to give each of the girls a Father's Blessing for the coming school year. It was very touching to see him lay his hands on the girls' heads and speak words that were just for them. To talk about things that they need comfort on, things that they struggle with, things that are their strengths and how to use those and things that are their weaknesses and how to handle them and work on them. I am so thankful I have John as my husband and as my childrens' father and the strength he is in our home.
Tuesday the girls had their first day of the new school year. Scharae is in 1st and Keira is in 2nd grade. They're in the same class because our school has very small grades and does split level classes so they'll be in the same class every other year. So far it has seemed to go well. I was a bit worried about Scharae and transitioning from a partial school day to the full day. She was very worn thin at the end of the first day but now we're 3 days in and she seems to be handling the longer days and more transitions just fine!
Their teacher called me Tuesday evening just to chat about the day and she says so far they have consistently chosen to sit by each other (they use tables with 4 at each table and almost always get to choose what table they sit at) and have really stuck together. I'm hoping that doesn't stay all the way through the year-they do have a habit of blocking out other kids around them when they're in a playing situation like at the park, even if they know the other kids. But it's better than them picking at each other all day I guess!
Of course Scharae has already left/lost/forgotten something. I got them new lunch sacks and some pretty cool containers that lock together to go in them...and she left it on the bus or something. I'm hoping for a call tomorrow saying that's where it is anyhow. She's quite the forgetful kid! At least she didn't leave her awesome "Snack Stack" on the bus. We've had to nickname her food carrying items. Snack Stack is, obviously, for snack. Lunch Bunch is for...lunch. She ate pretty much all her lunch for snack on Tuesday and Wednesday because she didn't remember what she was supposed to get out during snack. This is the kid that asks if it's time for dinner the second she gets up and plans to eat breakfast during lunch-the details are not important to her! Hopefully the rhymes will help her pace her eating a bit more.
Ok, on to some pictures from before school on Tuesday:
Seriously can't believe how grown up your girls are getting...they're beautiful!
ReplyDeleteHope all goes well this year and I know you'll be great as President!
I'm glad it's going well having them in the same class! They are such cuties!
ReplyDeleteYour girls are so cute!!! Glad school is going well. I bet as time goes on they will branch out and get acquainted with more kids and feel more comfortable being apart.
ReplyDelete