John is a self-proclaimed non-dog person. For those of you who know what my mom's profession is (yes mom, you are a professional!) and how much time we spend there-especially in the last few months-you'll know how big of a problem this might be!
But I have PROOF! Proof that he is NOT not a dog person!
Meet Mazey. Amazin' Grace. Mazola. Mazers. She has many names. And yes, that is the bed she is on. John's bed. His beloved king-sized bed. His side of the bed, even. Oh, and his Mario pjs that Keira lovingly picked out for him 2 Christmases ago.
Yes, yes, I know. The fact that there is a picture of a dog in our house doesn't seal the deal for John. But maybe this picture will?
He is finally able to admit that he is a dog person. At least a Mazey person. And by admit I mean it comes out as "Nope. I'm definitely NOT a dog person" while he's laying on her or petting her, or taking her for a walk, or soothing her ruffled feelings after being chased by the girls and having her new toy taken away. The girls and I brought Mazey home over the weekend to see how much we needed to do to the house and yard to have it work out, but I think we're pretty much there. The girls have really been working on "picking up like if Mazey was here" (a dog is GREAT motivation for keeping the house picked up! If only John and I could catch that motivation for our own room...do as I say, not as I do and all that). We did a family walk yesterday to the park on the corner and she enjoyed all the new smells. Was a bit confused by the cars. And was very confused by the cat and squirrels frequenting the fence of her backyard. First time she's seen either, I think! But she seems to be happy, John's happy, I'm happy and the girls are happy with her around. It's amazing how happy a dog can make you feel!
So on to how things are around here. They're trucking along. I'm getting really tired of being told how blessed John and I are, how special we must be, etc etc etc. I know people mean well. And if someone reading this is one of the ones that has said such a thing, know I don't resent it. And on some level I might be inclined to know/believe that. But to be perfectly honest, it doesn't help. I don't want to be blessed sometime in the future. I want it now. Yes, that's selfish. But it is what it is.
But we're doing ok. Every night Scharae prays that Malcolm's body will have a good sleep in the ground. And both girls still pray that Mommy's body will quit hurting and get stronger. And I think those prayers at least are helping. I'm not feeling weak, just exhausted. Someday I'll stop taking afternoon naps, right? Especially since the kids don't take them...
We're having some issues with honesty and sneaking. Mostly food. Keira seems to have some major control issues/obsessions with food and it is really coming to a head. We don't want to push too hard and make her obsess even more, but at the same time, the concept of being honest needs to be pushed and the issue at hand happens to be food. If it were my makeup or John's shoes being taken by her I'd feel the same way as far as wanting to teach and make a point. But having it revolve around food just adds that layer to it. I swear she's 5 going on 16!
Scharae is her happy go lucky singing self. I swear she never stops talking in the day. Even in her sleep she's a talker! John gets her up in the middle of the night once or twice to go to the bathroom and sometimes she talks his ear off and you can tell the kid is sound asleep! It's quite amusing.
We are planning a trip to California in June. If you're down that way, let me know and we'll try to work you in! Definitely stopping off in the Medford area (I think?) to see some friends down there, and Christina, you're on our list either on the way down or on the way back up, depending on how time looks. I think the girls are finally sold on Disneyland. They haven't really felt the need to go. You know, since Branson had teacups and flying elephants, who needs Disneyland!? But I've never been before, so even if they don't want to go, we're going! I'm pretty excited about it.
And then...well...we'll see how the summer treats us and what life brings us!
John and I are so thankful for the love and support we've had from family and friends through the last few months. Years, really. We truly appreciate it. And we are hoping to have some plans in the nearish future that might draw on more love and support...so we hope that it will be there then, too!

We love you Tiff! Glad to hear you have something fun planned for the summer! Take care, and I will send you the recipe!
ReplyDeleteAnnette
i'm not a dog person either, but mazey is an exception. you lucked out with her, for sure! you'll have such a blast in disneyland, you'll turn into a 6yr old girl while you're there! you can always count on my love and support.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTiff, I totally get what you mean on the whole "people mean well" That was my hardest thing when I had both of my miscarriages, I hated hearing, well it was for the best, and you are so blessed with what you do have etc. It doesn't help to a Mother who is hurting over the loss of a child. I pray for you continually, and take all the time you need to grieve. Its healthy and you need it for you. <3
ReplyDeleteMazey is a cutie and it's totally funny that she has made John do a 180! She must be wonderful!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear we're on your list of stops...we're only 2 hours from Salem so whatever direction...or both :)..you need a little break we'll take the visit!!!
And hopefully you know you always have my love an support...just wish I was closer to do more. Hope you are doing well today.